Friday, March 19, 2010

365 days...

A year ago, Mama Plover had her "very simple" neck surgery...easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Got that tumor out, put some steel contraption in her neck and just don't lift the baby...easier said then done. A couple of weeks later the call I have tried hardest to forget came, "Momo, I have cancer." I think I perhaps hit the biggest shock and denial of my life so far. I remember walking out to the kitchen and feeling like I couldn't hear.
Fast forward, three surgeries, radiation, some "bone glue" infusions, super healthy soy-free organic diet, and Mama Plover is flying along just fine. We have talked, texted and visited more this year then probably the last five combined. We have laughed so hard that we cried and definitely cried so hard we have laughed. At times we have had some deep and scary thoughts but mostly Mama Plover just makes me feel better. Its the darndest thing.
I have learned weird stuff about cancer, cool stuff about neck braces, watched Daddy Plover puff his chest and protect his nest, and the baby Plovers look knowingly at us and then go back to playing. We have covered bakugan, legos, pajama pants, diamonds, bracelets, charms, mastectomy, lumpectomy, oophorectomy. I have realized that my Northern friends tend to say "white light, positive thoughts" (HIPPIES!) and my Southern friends say "prayer lists, lift up, vigil" (BIBLE BELT!). I say, no matter what, it's working.
I secretly hate "lemonade out of lemons" (as if a young mother has a choice but to make the best of it), but I thank you dear sweet Hillary for this most important lesson. Thank you, and God, for the lessons of the last 365 days...and here's to the next 18,250...(that's 50 years in case you are trying to figure it out) !

Kisses from the zoo!

Here is the bear signing Aunt Hillary's letter that Mommy had to finish before she would make him hot chocolate- teddy
see its the simple things....

No comments: